Friday, April 25, 2014

Channel catfish on crankbait

When the water level is low on the East Fork and it's summer, it's usually a good time to catch channel cats on crankbaits.  We first discovered this many years ago during a severe drought.  It seems like the lower the water, the better the fishing.  I recorded the catch and release of 100 catfish (channel and flathead) that summer.  I had to replace the bronze treble hooks with stainless steel hooks on the lures we were using in order to hold up to the strain.  If you have never caught a catfish on a crankbait, it's a blast they aren't very subtle at all and hit the lures harder than most any bass I ever caught.  On any given day we let the fish decide the color pattern to cast, but normally it's either a crawfish or shad pattern.
I put the kayak in at the Lake Monroe tailwaters Thursday evening for a short paddle.  Just as I neared the water an angler pulled in a keeper size crappie taken on a clouser fly.  I floated downstream and paddled back up against the fast current (around 1900 cfs).  I don't recommend trying it unless you know how to navigate safely in fast current.  There were lots of wild flowers on the bank that popped up since my last trip.  On the way home a red fox was walking across the road in front of me until I blew my horn to scare it back into the thicket.

No comments:

Post a Comment