Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lake Monroe Tailwaters - walleye fishing



Went fishing this morning at the tailwaters in search of walleye.  I arrived just before 6 am and there were already two vehicles there.  One guy was fishing near the outlet fence, so I fished on the downstream side of the flooded steps.  The high outflow creates quite a significant series of waves crashing the rocks.  I got too close and got soaked to the knees. I landed a male walleye (18") after about a half hour of casting on a Smithwick Rogue.  The old guy fishing near the outlet left just after daylight, so I moved over to his spot and used my cast net to catch a few gizzard shad.  I fished with the shad for an hour without any success and headed home around 8 am.  The Corps  reported an outflow of 1979 cfs today and the lake has dropped 2.2 ft in nine days.

No comments:

Post a Comment