Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Redhorse Sucker spawning

Smallmouth Redhorse

I went on a redhorse sucker recon trip Saturday morning before daylight hoping to find large numbers of suckers spawning in the riffles of a small creek that flows into the East Fork of White River.  I walked along the stream shining my flashlight onto several riffles and only saw 1 fish.  Maybe the best time is after sunset instead; I don't know.  I've always heard stories from years ago when guys used to go out after dark and gig lots redhorse suckers in the riffles for the protein.  Not long after daylight the gnats started swarming me and i tried every plant around me to deter them, but nothing worked.  Before I hurried back to the truck I made several casts with a floating Rapala hoping to interest a bass, but got no action at all. Later that afternoon I took the kayak to the Monroe tailwaters for a paddle.  The current was fast (1925 cfs) and I had to cover the cockpit with my rain coat a couple times.  I paddled down to the mouth of Clear Creek and back up to the parking lot.  I threw the Rapala some, but only got a couple bluegill.

No comments:

Post a Comment