Monday, May 19, 2014

Weekend kayak & fishing report

Tom photographed at Brown Co State Park

I took my kayak to the Lake Monroe tailwaters on both Friday and Saturday evenings.  The crappie were hitting like crazy both days on 1/16 oz jigs.  The water level had fallen about 4 ft on Friday, which I think could have been the reason the bass were not too excited about hitting.  I tried a floating Rapala and got several look, but no hook-ups other than small ones.  On Saturday the bass were more cooperative and I was able to land a few on a shallow running crankbait, but still not the big ones I was looking for.  As I was preparing to beach the kayak and crawl up the rip rap bank, an older guy just downstream, asked if I had a dip net to help him land a walleye.  I managed to get the fish in the net and handed to him.  It was about 19" and would make a nice meal.  The weird thing was he was fishing with a small hook on the bottom with a worm trying to catch bluegill for bait.

Sunday afternoon, me and my oldest daughter kayaked a stretch of Guthrie Creek.  The weather was perfect, the stream was clear with a good flow and we kept our face and neck covered with vanilla spray to hold off the gnats.  We saw several deer along the bank, lots of big soft shelled turtles, and two freshly hatched wood duck families.  The paddle took about a hour and forty-five minutes and we had to portage around two drifts up steep muddy banks, but it was great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment